Uluru (Ayers Rock)
Uluru is the homeland of the Pitjantjatjara and Yankunytjatjara people (also known as Anangu). It was returned to their care and ownership in 1985. The area contains carvings and paintings by Aboriginal people. The area also contains a number of sacred sites which are closed to the public.
Uluru was named 'Ayers Rock' by European explorer Ernest Giles who sighted it 1872. He named it for the South Australian premier of the time, Sir Henry Ayers. In 1995 the name of the National Park was changed from Ayres Rock-Mount Olga National Park to Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park to acknowledge Anangu ownership and their relationship with the area.
Huge, red and towering over the landscape.Situated in Kata Tjuta National Park, it is the world's largest monolith, rising 348 metres above the desert floor. It has a circumference of 9.4km.
Its ascent is 1.6km and steep in parts.
Depending on the time of day and the position of the sun, dust and cloud cover, and atmospheric conditions, its colouring can change from various shades of red to orange to lilac. At sunset this change can happen in a matter of minutes.
Approx 450km south-west of Alice Springs.Accommodation available from camping, lodges to hotels.
For more information click here.
Summer 21-36 (celsius)
Ayers Rock Resort Visitors and Information Centre
For local information, Aboriginal culture, displays and museum.
Open 8am to 9pm daily.
Ayers Rock Resort
Tel (089) 562 240