HOBART - Tourist Attractions
Tasmanian Travel & Information Centre
At the corner of Davey and Elizabeth Street, Hobart. Call in at the Travel & Information Centre and pick up free maps and brochures. Bookings can also be made here.
An excellent introduction to the city is a city sights bus tour commencing daily from the Information Centre.
Open Mon-Fri 8.30am-5.30pm. Sat and public holidays 9am-5pm.
Less than a mile from the GPO, Hobart's first residential area with narrow streets filled with homes originally for merchants, tradesmen and labourers.
A man's home was proportional to his position in the community, hence the sizes of the homes, from mansions to small cottages, to tiny, doll-like houses.
The battery was a set of coastal artillery guns installed in 1818 on the promontory by the guardhouse.
Ten years later signal flags were added for relaying the big news of the day, such as ship arrivals or prison breaks.
There are also popular restaurants and tearooms located at Battery Point.
One of several wharves and docks in Sullivans Cove.
Home to part of Hobart's fishing fleet.
The finishing line for the famous annual Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race, which begins in Sydney's Rushcutters Bay on Boxing Day and finishes around New Year's Eve.
There are cheap fish and chips outlets, as well as a restaurant and cafe.
Federation Concert Hall
1 Davey Street, Hobart.
This controversial building is the home of the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra, designed for quality acoustics and performers' requirements. It seats over one thousand people.
Hobart's first Government House, built of timber, was built in Franklin Square. In 1858, because of the collapse of the building, it became a park.
Used as a public park for over a century. A fountain with a bronze statue of Sir John Franklin, Arctic explorer and Governor of Tasmania (1837-1843), stands in the centre of the square. You can play giant chess in the park.
Between the warehouses of Salamanca Place is an alley leading to Kellys Steps, steep steps over a short distance, linking the waterfront with the residential area of Battery Point.
They were built on private land in 1839 by Captain James Kelly, a sealer, whaler and adventurer.
Here you will find the restored mariners' village, now a trendy address, as well as some of Hobart's most popular restaurants.
Maritime Museum of Tasmania
Cnr Davey and Argyle Streets, Hobart. Open daily, admission fee applies.
Collection of photos, paintings, models concentrating on local shipping and whaling, together with relics from shipwrecks.
Completed in 1840 by convicts for use as a customs house until the first Parliament sat in 1856. The building faces the waterfront.
The visitors gallery is open when Parliament sits.
A long row of restored, colonial sandstone warehouses on the harbourfront, dating back to the whaling days of the 1840s. It is now home to boutiques, stores, art galleries, cafes and pubs.
Salamanca Markets operate here every Saturday from 8.30am-3pm. with arts, crafts, books, clothing etc. Also the usual market-place entertainment.
Salamanca Arts Centre, 65-79 Salamanca Place, Hobart, for the best local arts and crafts, also a wide range of regional gourmet food.
Murray Street, Hobart. Open Mon-Sat.
Also housed here are the Allport Library and Museum of Fine Arts, with rare books and antique furniture, china and silver.
59 Argyle Street, Hobart.
Australia's first, and oldest existing, synagogue. It was built in 1845 in an Egyptian Reviva design, a popular style for synagogues in the 1840s. Although the Jewish population of Hobart has dwindled, services are still held there on Fridays.
Tasmanian Museum & Art Gallery
40 Macquarie Street, Hobart. Open daily. General admission free.
Explore's early convict and whaling history, together with Australia's finest collection of colonial art, Aboriginal art and history. There is also a modern Australian Art section. Part of the museum complex is housed in Hobart's oldest building, the Commissariat Store, built in 1808.
Also on display are marsupials and the extinct Tasmanian tiger (thylacine).
In Campbell Street, Hobart. Australia's oldest live theatre, opened in 1837. It has featured stars like Noel Coward and Sir Laurence Olivier.